Why Refilleries are the Future of Sustainability

In an effort to be more sustainable, Hudson Valley Skin Care is officially opening up Hudson Valley Refillery. Before walking through the doors of a refillery, it’s important to understand what it actually is and why it’s so important. 

What is a Refillery?

A refillery is a retail store that allows you to refill your own containers with household necessities and beauty products, reducing your carbon footprint and plastic waste. Hudson Valley Refillery allows you to stock upon your favorite Hudson Valley Skin Care products without the excess waste and packaging. 

To shop at a refillery, all you need to do is bring in your own container or purchase one once you get there. Your product is then weighed out, priced per ounce of product, and refilled for you. Once you’re done with the product, just clean out your container and bring it back in for another refill!

Why are Refilleries Important?

The beauty industry is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to plastic waste. Packaging accounts for 70% of the industry’s waste, making single-use plastics the downfall of this industry.  Think about how many empty bottles of body wash, lotion, or hair products you throw into the recycling bin each year. While you may think you’re doing your part by recycling, only 9% of plastic is actually recycled, leaving the other 91% to end up in a landfill or polluting our oceans. Refilleries are combating this massive problem by eliminating plastic packaging altogether. 

By creating a store that allows you to refill your products rather than buy a brand-new bottle each time, this is seriously cutting down on plastic waste. Refilleries also make sustainability much more accessible for the everyday person. You shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to reduce some of your waste - and that’s why we’re making it easier than ever to get the products you need without another plastic bottle ending up in a landfill. 

The goal of Hudson Valley Refillery is simply to make our world a better, cleaner place and take the guesswork out of reducing some of your plastic waste.