The skin barrier is an important part of the skin's function, as it acts as a protective barrier against environmental damage and prevents moisture loss. When this barrier is damaged, it can lead to dry, itchy, and inflamed skin, as well as an increased risk of infection. If you are struggling with a damaged skin barrier, here are some tips on how to heal it and get your skin back to optimal health.
- Avoid harsh skincare products: Harsh skincare products, such as those with alcohol or fragrances, can strip the skin of its natural oils and weaken the barrier. Instead, opt for gentle, nourishing products that contain ingredients like ceramides and hyaluronic acid, which help to rebuild and strengthen the barrier. One of our favorite skincare lines is the Goat-To Face Collection from Hudson Valley Skin Care. These products are made from nourishing, cleansing, natural ingredients like Goat’s Milk, locally sourced Honey, and locally sourced Sunflower Seed Oil to heal and protect your skin barrier.
- Moisturize regularly: Keeping the skin hydrated is essential for repairing a damaged skin barrier. Choose a moisturizer that is formulated for your skin type and apply it to damp skin after cleansing to lock in moisture.
- Use a humidifier: Dry air can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to a damaged skin barrier. Using a humidifier can help to add moisture back into the air, keeping the skin hydrated and healthy.
- Avoid hot showers: While a hot shower may feel good, the high heat and steam can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to a damaged skin barrier. Instead, opt for lukewarm water and limit shower time to 5-10 minutes.
- Avoid picking at your skin: Picking at your skin can disrupt the skin barrier and lead to further irritation and inflammation. If you are prone to picking, try using a spot treatment or covering the area with a bandage to prevent further damage.
- Protect your skin from the sun: Sun exposure can damage the skin barrier, leading to dry, irritated skin. Make sure to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 every day, even on cloudy days.
By following these tips, you can help to repair your damaged skin barrier and get your skin back to optimal health. Remember to be consistent with your skincare routine and be patient, as it may take some time for the skin barrier to fully heal.